When using JPA, you have the option to use the Oracle database.
This option is only supported with Oracle 12c and upwards.
As Oracle has a proprietary JDBC driver, we cannot bundle it with JHipster. This driver is available using the Oracle Maven repository, which must be specifically configured as it is not public (you will need an Oracle account).
Your Maven or Gradle configuration generated by JHipster already use the Oracle Maven repository, but you still need to configure your authentication to the repository. To do so, please follow this blog post from Oracle.
When using Oracle with JHipster, the following limitations will be applicable
- Entity names cannot be more than 26 characters, this is due to Oracle’s 30 character limitation for object names, and we reserve 4 characters to generate primary key sequence for the generated tables.
- Entity field names cannot be more than 30 characters
- When doing relationships, foreign key names cannot be more than 30 characters, so they will be truncated if they are too long
- When doing many-to-many relationships, the join table name will follow the JPA specification (in the form “firstTable_secondTable”): if it is more than 30 characters long, it will be truncated.
- Oracle reserved keywords cannot be used as Entity names or Field names.